Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2009 Shoo Fly "The Freckle"

Yeah, sorry about the pic here - but we've just finished this bottle of wine and Chris has already thrown it in the recycle bin so I needed to search the internet for an image of he wine. Harder than you might think.


Chris and I bought this wine at a tasting during the spring. I'll be honest, I bought it almost certainly because of the name "The Freckle", being a mix of Irish and Scottish heritage I have pretty much been screwed in the area of skin pigmentation. This is never more evident as when my husband, an Italian, can generate a tan line by simply walking to the back yard and watering the garden, when it's overcast. I don't tan, I just become a matrix of freckles, with enough sun, they almost look like a tan, or leprosy, its a toss of the dice. So a wine, made predominately out of the "freckled" grape Marsanne just spoke to me a little. (There's marketing for every ginger out there for ya.)


Anyway - here we go.


I liked this wine, the label states that I will get honeysuckle, peach and subtle oak. I find that I am very good at smelling and tasting things that I encounter on a daily basis. I run every morning, somewhere between 4 and 8 miles a day, and there is a yard, about 3 miles or so into my run that has a fence with honeysuckle that twists and climbs up the fence, facing the sidewalk. I look forward to this part of my run because the aroma of honeysuckle is so strong and is such a refreshing burst on an otherwise aromatically lame run. So, I know what honeysuckle smells like, and yes, this wine smells and at the beginning tastes like honeysuckle and I love that. Oak, now that's another thing, I love oak especially in white wines and I just didn't get it on here, what I did get on the finish was an almost tart sour lime pith type flavor. Not the best finish, but not terrible either, and for $11 I'm not complaining.


This is the perfect wine for a night like tonight, when you are outside and the oppressive heat of the day breaks just enough for you to cool off and enjoy the breeze.


The Particulars
Winery: Shoofly
Varietal: 40% Marsanne, 37% Roussane, 23%Viogner
AVA: Adelaide, Australia
Vintage: 2009
Price: $11


Rating - BUY IT



No comments:

Post a Comment