Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2009 Fat Monk Merlot


I mean really, for $10 are you expecting a grand description ala Wine Spectator? No. This wine is fun and jammy and easy to drink if you like berry forward big fat red wines. I bought this wine at a tasting in the spring, actually, I liked it so much that out of the 12 bottles I bought that day, 3 of them were this.


There is a little bit of acid on the finish, but nothing to be wary of. What you should be wary of is the alcohol content, which is a ridiculous 14.5% - not atypical for California, but it still means that for me this is a drink at home wine because there is no way I could have more than one glass and actually feel the lips on my face, let alone operate a car.  


The Particulars
Winery: Villa San Juliette
Varietal: 86% Merlot, 10% Cabernet, 4% Syrah
AVA: California, Paso Robles
Vintage: 2009
Alcohol: 14.5%
Price:  $10

Rating = Buy It

No comments:

Post a Comment